Classification review established – consultation pending
After preliminary negotiations, the Promotional Positions Classification Review (PPCR) Working Group has been formed, terms of reference and the scope of the review agreed, a project manager appointed and a list of timelines and key activities established.
Consistent with the provisions of the EB agreement, the review will be completed by the end of 2018. The QTU’s aim is to complete it earlier if possible, subject to a comprehensive review.
QTU representation on the working group is the QTU General Secretary Graham Moloney, Assistant Secretary – Education Leaders Paige Bousen and Industrial Advocate Thalia Edmonds.
The DET representatives are led by Deputy Director-General Jeff Hunt and include Leanne Nixon, Tracy Corsbie, Regan Neumann and Leigh Pickering. The Project Manager is Dion Coghlan.
A desktop analysis of the current promotional workforce and of the classification structures in other states and territories and in the private sector has commenced.
The process will also include extensive consultation and opportunities for groups and individuals to provide submissions and raise issues. Focus groups will also be used as part of the process to prioritise issues and options for the new classification structure. The consultation process starts shortly.
In addition to the consultation processes of the review, the QTU will provide an on-going avenue for member comment and submissions on the future classification structure.
The QTU has established a dedicated page for the review on the QTU website
(www.qtu.asn.au/ppcr). This will allow QTU members to read up-to-date information and to provide comment by email.
QTU members will also be consulted in conjunction with QTU seminars, at meetings organised for the purpose and by Organisers in conjunction with school visits.
Scope of the review
- Stream 2: Heads of Program
- Stream 3: School Leaders
- The impact of the evaluation methodology
- Impact of HAT/LT classifications
- Progression between classification levels and paypoints
- Remuneration packaging
- Work value assessments/role descriptions/evaluations
- Executive principal.
- Stream 1: Teaching
- Allocative methodology
- Creation of new positions
- Terms and conditions
- Implementation of review findings
- Stream structure.
Terms of reference
The working group will:
- lead a review of Stream 2: Head of Program and Stream 3: School Leaders classifications, as required by clause 5.4 of the agreement (the review)
- operate in accordance with the good faith bargaining guidelines executed by the parties on 14 April 2016 for the purpose of negotiating the review in accordance with the agreement
- invite and coordinate submissions for the review
- undertake or commission analysis of work value and comparative remuneration levels
- examine drivers and impacts on classifications subject to this review
- inform communications with key stakeholders about the review
- conduct the review acknowledging that the outcomes will inform the basis of negotiations between the Queensland Teachers’ Union (QTU) and the Department of Education and Training (DET) as part of 2019 enterprise bargaining
- prepare a report summarising the findings of the review for consideration by the Queensland Government.
Graham Moloney General Secretary
Queensland Teachers' Journal, Vol 122 No 4, 2 June 2017, p12
Selected volumes and articles from 2008 to current editions...
Publication information (incl. advertising)Queensland Teachers' Journal editorial information and information, including booking forms, for advertisers...
Letters to the editorYou can easily send in your letter to the editor using our quick online form...
CLOSING FRIDAY 25 MAY
Advice - QTAD
Training, seminars & PD
- salary info
- campaign information
- branch meetings and much more
One of the great benefits of QTU membership is access to the QTU library.
Find out more about the library's great collection and how to order and request books online here.
You can visit us at
21 Graham Street, Milton Q 4064
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm
There are no vacancies at this time.
Qld Retired Teachers' Assoc.
For the professional...
- Click here for resources to assist you and professional organisations to support you to meet the increasing demands of your role.
- Care about your profession and want to help shape its future?
Join the new Professional Issues Network Group (PING) now!
QTU On-line Shop