July 2012 : Conditions in the current certified agreement that the Government want removed and made into matters of “policy”
- Class sizes
- The current agreement contains a “commitment” from DETE to the following maximum class size targets: 25 students per teacher in prep to year 3 and years 11 and 12, and 28 in other years.
- School-based management guarantees
- give schools flexibility around staffing, budgeting and governance while protecting workers’ conditions (including permanent employment).
- provide for the provision of education and support for students with disabilities, learning difficulties or behavioural problems, plus resources for students in VET or multi-age classes;
- provide for specialist staff such as music, LOTE and PE teachers, guidance officers, teacher librarians, advisory visiting teachers and learning support teachers;
- set out how school councils should operate;
- define the teacher transfer system and processes.
- Remote Area Incentive Scheme (RAIS)
- RAIS covers the incentives that attract teachers to Queensland’s most remote schools such as those in the Torres Strait and far north and west Queensland, and rewards them for ongoing service in those communities.
- Processes for achieving flexibility in schools
- This includes facilitative provisions, staffing flexibility, workplace reform, use of funds additional to a school’s resource allocation – that ensure that schools have flexibility to change how work is done and staffing arrangements, while ensuring that employees are consulted about changes that affect their employment conditions as set out in awards and agreements.
- Productivity, service and reform initiatives
- These allow for efficient and flexible use of time, disciplinary processes including redeployment and suspension, and efficient processes such as pay by electronic funds transfer.
- Workload management
- This requires DETE to consult with the Union when changes introduced by the Department and/or Government will significantly increase workload (recent examples are the introduction of the Australian curriculum, NAPLAN and Flying Start initiatives) and to ensure that administrative processes are streamlined and add real value.
- Job security
- This provision commits DETE to maximising job security for its workers, curbing organisational restructuring and “further, the government undertakes that permanent public sector employees will not be forced into unemployment as a result of organisational change or changes in departmental priorities other than in exceptional circumstances.”
- Attraction and retention of high-calibre graduates
- This provision provides internships and mentoring for high-performing pre-service teachers in their final year of study.
- Induction/introduction to teaching program
- This program ensures there is a formal induction process for new teachers.
- Minimum engagement of temporary teachers
- This provision balances the need to ensure there is a teacher in front of every class every day with a reasonable expectation of work for the teacher.
- Temporary teacher professional development–
- Because of this provision temporary teachers are not denied access to professional development (which is a requirement of ongoing teacher registration).
- Conversion of temporary to permanent employment
- This provision ensures that teachers are not left on temporary appointments when they have undertaken significant work and are ready to enter the teacher transfer system.
- Teacher professionalism
- This provision includes professional standards, developing performance and managing unsatisfactory performance.
- Executive principals and National Partnership principals
- These principles set out the selection, appointment and review of principals of very large schools (enrolments of more 1600 enrolments) and schools which are part of the federal National Partnership Agreement (NPA) program.
- National Partnership Agreements (NPAs)
- Include how schools in the federally funded NPA program, including those in low socio-economic communities, can use extra funding for more support for students. These provisions currently allow for National Partnership schools to access an even greater level of flexibility than that which is available in other schools.
- Adult supervision of pre-set learning
- This sets out the acceptable conditions under which responsible adults can supervise students in very small schools while they undertake pre-set learning, for example, when a teacher in a one-teacher school is taken ill for a short time.
- Community and assistant teachers
- a matter carried over from the previous agreement, covering pay and conditions for para-professional teachers usually in very remote communities, and ways to help them become qualified and achieve teacher registration.
- ILO conventions
- obliges DETE to recognise “its obligations to give effect to international labour standards including freedom of association, workers’ representatives, collective bargaining and equality of opportunity for all public sector workers.”
- Education Consultative Committee
- this is “The peak consultative forum for matters contained in or arising from this Agreement [ie., from the Department of Education and Training Teachers' Certified Agreement 2010]”
- Long service leave
- defines LSL entitlements similar to other parts of the public service.
- Workplace health and safety officers
- gives nominated WHS officers time to carry out their duties.
Advice - QTAD
Training, seminars & PD
- salary info
- campaign information
- branch meetings and much more
One of the great benefits of QTU membership is access to the QTU library.
Find out more about the library's great collection and how to order and request books online here.
You can visit us at
21 Graham Street, Milton Q 4064
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm
There are no vacancies at this time.
Qld Retired Teachers' Assoc.
For the professional...
- Click here for resources to assist you and professional organisations to support you to meet the increasing demands of your role.
- Care about your profession and want to help shape its future?
Join the new Professional Issues Network Group (PING) now!
QTU On-line Shop