The benefits of belonging
More than 48,000 teachers in Queensland schools and TAFEs choose to belong to the QTU (more than 90% of all teachers, principals and school leaders).
We live our values – we are member focused, democratic, professional, united, and courageous in ensuring that our members voices are heard professionally, industrially and legally.
This is something we have done for over 130 years and something that we will continue to do for many more to come. When you join the QTU, you belong to a community.
Respect for the profession
- ongoing campaigns to protect and enhance your rights at work
- safety at work
- professional autonomy
- workload reduction.
- expert legal advice and assistance from specialists
- free in cases arising from work (NB: You must be a financial member at the time of the incident).
- support and representation to ensure you are fairly treated
- experienced QTU Officers with the expertise you need.
Information and advice
- the Queensland Teachers’ Assist Desk
- the Queensland Teachers’ Journal
- the QTU library.
Training and PD
- industrial training from QTEC
- professional development through Quest
- tailored workplace training delivered by QTU Officers at your workplace
- legal seminars provided by education law specialists - Holding Redlich.
- The QTU provides you with a professional voice, representing you:
- on the Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority
- on the Queensland College of Teachers
- nationally, via the Australian Education Union.
- Representing members on the boards of TUH (health fund), Union Shopper and the Australian Retirement Trust (QSuper - superannuation).