Code of conduct
Teachers have an important responsibility in guiding their students’ educational and social development.
Therefore, teachers should possess the following attributes:
- social and emotional maturity
- breadth and depth of learning
- an understanding of human experience.
The Queensland Teachers’ Union trusts that all members will exemplify this code of ethics in the exercise of their professional duties.
- The primary professional responsibility of teachers is the welfare of all students within their care.
- Teachers shall endeavour to promote such relationships between school and home as will contribute to the welfare and comprehensive development of each student.
- Teachers shall strive to achieve standards of professional conduct and to display attitudes towards their colleagues which will create mutual respect.
- Teachers shall assert their professional, industrial and civil rights and support their colleagues in the defence of these rights.
- Teachers shall strive to fulfil their responsibilities in a manner which will enhance the prestige of their profession.
QTU Policy 2017-19, Booklet H - Professional Development, Page 1..