Back to main fact checker page


Medical certificates

Myth :  My school has asked me for a medical certificate because I rang in sick after a public holiday, but I cannot get an appointment with my doctor for three weeks. What do I do?

Fact : In accordance with the state public service sick leave directive, teachers are only required to provide a medical certificate for absences greater than three days.

It may be reasonable to make a request for a medical certificate where a teacher has been placed on a managing unsatisfactory performance program (MUP) or there have already been concerns raised by the management team about a pattern of absences.

If requested to produce a medical certificate at your school for sick leave of fewer than three days, the QTU would advise teachers to make a written enquiry (email) as to the reason for the request.


[Information updated 17 Feb 2017]

[Information updated 17 Feb 2017]