F = fail
Visitors to the QTU website over the Christmas break have overwhelmingly given the Queensland Government an “F for fail” on a range of actions and policies that already have, or are proposed to, directly affect QTU members.
Asked to give a mark from A to E – or F if they thought it should be an outright fail – the vast majority of respondents gave the government an F for each of the following. Most unpopular were the first three listed.
- Proposed teacher rankings based on student test data, classroom observations and student and parent ratings.
- Teacher bonuses linked to the proposed new teacher ranking system.
- A bungled and confused “deal” with the new Federal Government funding, which gives no certainty that schools will be funded according to students’ needs.
- Oversized classes resulting from the government’s shortfall in funding for staff.
- Proposals to force school leaders onto fixed-term, “performance-based” contracts.
- Massive increases in TAFE course fees because of a lack of government funding for the public provider.
- Six state schools closed for no defensible reason.
- New IR laws that attempt to gag unions with onerous red tape.
21 Jan 2014
QTU stands in solidarity
The Queensland Teachers’ Union wishes to express its shock at the killing of 17 people at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, and stands in solidarity with the many brave teachers who risked their own lives to protect the students in their care.
These horrific events reveal the deep commitment and bravery of members of our profession under the most extreme of circumstances, and we are proud to stand with them at this terrible time.QTU, 16 Feb 2018
Advice - QTAD
Training, seminars & PD
- salary info
- campaign information
- branch meetings and much more
One of the great benefits of QTU membership is access to the QTU library.
Find out more about the library's great collection and how to order and request books online here.
You can visit us at
21 Graham Street, Milton Q 4064
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm
Qld Retired Teachers' Assoc.
For the professional...
- Click here for resources to assist you and professional organisations to support you to meet the increasing demands of your role.
- Care about your profession and want to help shape its future?
Join the new Professional Issues Network Group (PING) now!
QTU On-line Shop
There are no vacancies at this time