QTU President's comment : 1 July 2014
New era for TAFE in Queensland
A major change in a 130-year history of providing high-quality public education in the vocational education and training sector took place at midnight last night when TAFE Queensland took control of Queensland TAFE colleges.
The election of the Newman government in 2012 saw a dramatic escalation of threats to TAFE as the public provider of VET. The most concerning features of the changes that take effect from today include:
- the new TAFE Queensland entity is a statutory authority operating in a 100% contestable market
- the LNP government's "investment" in skills will result in massive increases in costs to students for the same TAFE courses: in some cases, as much as a 10-fold increase
- TAFE no longer owns or operates the buildings it owned just yesterday.
Another fundamental change is that TAFE employees are no longer public servants. The QTU has been keeping a close watch on transfer arrangements to the new authority; so far, it appears that our members who are now TAFE Queensland employees will retain their previous working conditions. The QTU will continue to closely monitor developments and protect members’ rights, as well as advocate for TAFE’s community service obligations.
What hasn’t changed is the dedication and professionalism of TAFE employees; whoever their technical employer may be. Teaching always has been, and always will be, the heart of TAFE.
Advice - QTAD
Training, seminars & PD
- salary info
- campaign information
- branch meetings and much more
One of the great benefits of QTU membership is access to the QTU library.
Find out more about the library's great collection and how to order and request books online here.
You can visit us at
21 Graham Street, Milton Q 4064
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm
There are no vacancies at this time.
Qld Retired Teachers' Assoc.
For the professional...
- Click here for resources to assist you and professional organisations to support you to meet the increasing demands of your role.
- Care about your profession and want to help shape its future?
Join the new Professional Issues Network Group (PING) now!
QTU On-line Shop