Special education teachers
Within the Union, a Standing Committe, the Special Education Committee. has been established to formulate & draft policy, to provide specialist advice to Executive and Council, and to make recommendations for action and campaigns in support of Union policy within its areas of responsibilit which include any matters relating to special education and the employment, status and conditions of Union members employed in special education.
Current members of the QTU Special Education Committee:
Sarah Lockwood | Kellie Ryan | Gay Flynn | Lisa Hurrell | Kate Kermode | Steve Leese | Dan Simmonds
Principal of Redland District Special School Chair : Special Education Committee & member of the Education Leaders Committee Elected to QTU Executive in 2012.
QASEL President Special School Principal
HOSES Biloela SS- SEP
Support Teacher Allora P-10 State School
Committee Secretary QTU Assistant Secretary
The Committee - the role and Terms of office of its members
The QTU Special Education Committee is a Standing Committee of the QTU which:
- makes recommendations to QTU Conference or Council on appropriate policies for the QTU in the area of special education;
- makes recommendations and provides advice to Executive and/or Council on any matters related to special education;
- gives consideration to matters referred to it by Executive, Council, Conference, Branches and Area Councils;
- receives and considers reports from QTU Representatives on outside bodies which have to do with special education and provides appropriate advice on these reports to Executive or Council.
A broad overview of the work of the Committee is provided in its annual report to the QTU State Council.
QTU Special Education Committee consists of 10 members elected by QTU State Council plus a chair who is a member of QTU Executive.
The Committee meets quarterly and if you have an issue or concern you wish the committee to consider, please provide the relevant information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms of office are for three year periods (current term expires May 2023). Vacancies on the Committee are advertised in the Teachers’ Journal and on the QTU website and any financial member of the Union can nominate.
The Committee meets quarterly in Milton (some members participate via teleconference or Zoom).
The Committee and the QTU take a broad view of what constitutes “special education” and the QTU defines students with special educational needs (the target population for the delivery of special education services) to include those students:
- with disabilities;
- with learning difficulties/disabilities
- who demonstrate significant behavioural and adjustment difficulties;
- who have significant medical conditions
Special Education Network News
The Committee also maintains a “Special Education Network” members of which will receive a summary of issues considered by the Committee through the Special Education Network newsletter.Special Education Network Newsletters.
- Queensland Association of Special Education Leaders [QASEL]
- Australian Association of Special Education
- Queensland.Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services
- Disability Standards for Education
- Queensland. Department of Education and Training. Learning and Disability Support
- Mind Matters
- Queensland Guidance and Counselling Association
- Queensland Curriculum & Assessment Authority [QCAA] Equity in education
- Suicide Prevention (Everymind)