No. 03-2013, 17 May 2013
Government Reveals Draft VET Investment Plan
The Queensland Government has released its draft VET Investment Plan 2013-2014. Details (including the plan, supporting documents and a presentation) are accessible at: http://training.qld.gov.au/information/investing-in-skills/index.html.
The Plan, titled Investing in Skills, arises from the recommendations of the Skills and Training Taskforce. Key features include:
- direction of public investment to qualifications ‘that are more likely to lead to employment’;
- introduction of a ‘student entitlement scheme’ for Certificate III training;
- ‘improved’ prioritisation of government funded skills courses;
- expansion of the use of student loans for diploma and advanced diploma courses.
For TAFE Institutes, a key feature of the plan is the transition to a fully contestable (‘demand driven’) funding system from 1 July 2014. The Plan sets out base rates of funding for different types of courses and the minimum student fees. It also sets out the initial qualifications selected for contestability in 2013-14.
The plan has been released for consultation (including with TAFE teachers) but, once again, the consultation period is extremely abbreviated. The QTU will be responding and encourages its TAFE members to provide feedback, both to the QTU and to the Government.
The deadline for feedback on the proposed VET Investment Plan is Friday, 24 May 2013.
To provide feedback, send your submission to:
Investing in Skills consultation
Department of Education, Training and Employment
PO Box 15033
City East, Qld, 4002
Feedback can sent to the QTU at qtu@.asn.au or to the QTU postal address below.
Advice - QTAD
Training, seminars & PD
- salary info
- campaign information
- branch meetings and much more
One of the great benefits of QTU membership is access to the QTU library.
Find out more about the library's great collection and how to order and request books online here.
You can visit us at
21 Graham Street, Milton Q 4064
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm
There are no vacancies at this time.
Qld Retired Teachers' Assoc.
For the professional...
- Click here for resources to assist you and professional organisations to support you to meet the increasing demands of your role.
- Care about your profession and want to help shape its future?
Join the new Professional Issues Network Group (PING) now!
QTU On-line Shop