Gonksi 2.0: the recommendations
Queensland Teachers' Journal, Vol 123 No 4, 1 June 2018, p20
Laying the foundations for learning
- Promote high-quality early learning and seamless transitions into school.
- Engage parents and carers as partners in their children’s learning throughout school and develop tools and resources to support this.
- Ensure all students have the opportunity within schools to be partners in their own learning.
Equipping every student to grow and succeed in a changing world
- Introduce new reporting with a focus on learning attainment and learning gain.
- Revise the structure of the Australian Curriculum to present the learning areas and general capabilities as learning progressions.
- Prioritise the acquisition of foundation skills in literacy and numeracy in curriculum delivery during the early years.
- Give more prominence to the acquisition of the general capabilities e.g. critical and creative thinking, personal and social capability.
- Strengthen community engagement to enrich learning.
- Review senior secondary schooling to equip students with skills for the future.
Creating, supporting and valuing a profession of expert educators
- Create the conditions and culture to enable and encourage more professional collaboration, observation, feedback and mentoring amongst teachers.
- Develop an online and on demand student learning assessment tool for teachers for the purposes of formative assessment and tailored teaching.
- Provide teachers with high-quality professional learning.
- Develop a comprehensive national teacher workforce strategy.
- Implement effective induction practices for early career teachers.
- Create meaningful career pathways which value and utilise teaching expertise and keep excellent teachers teaching.
Empowering and supporting school leaders
- Review and revise the Australian Professional Standard for Principals to prioritise leadership of learning and include accountability for individual student learning growth.
- Ensure principals have the autonomy required to lead their school on the improvement journey most relevant to their starting point.
- Create and implement a structured career pathway for school leaders.
- Provide school leaders with high-quality professional learning.
Raising and achieving aspirations through innovation and continuous improvement
- Enhance school and system internal self-review and external quality assurance processes for the purposes of monitoring and reviewing student learning gain.
- Accelerate the introduction of a unique student identifier.
- Establish an independent institution to coordinate, source and generate the development of a national research and evidence base that can be easily accessed and implemented to improve student outcomes.