Queensland Teachers' Journal, Vol 123 No 7, 5 October 2018, page no. 29
Staff professional development days (SPDDs) 2019
At the time of writing, there are to be a total of six student free days in 2019, which all permanent (full and part-time) teachers must attend.
- 24, 25 January (fixed)
- 8, 9, 10 April (flexible) .
- 21 October (fixed, but can be made flexible).
Queensland term dates - 2019
|Term 1||Tuesday 29 January - Friday 5 April||10 weeks|
|Term 2||Tuesday 23 April - Friday 28 June||10 weeks|
|Term 3||Monday 15 July - Friday 20 September||10 weeks|
|Term 4||Tuesday 8 October - Friday 13 December||10 weeks|
What consultation should occur around the flexible professional development hours?
School communities are required to negotiate their arrangements in consultation with their staff and through the local consultative committee or, for schools with fewer than 20 employees, a consultative body.
Through consultation, schools could:
- allocate one or more of the flexible student free days to the end of the summer vacation, usually adjoining the fixed student free days
- extend the hours (beyond the normal five hours rostered duty time) of any designated student free days
- schedule blocks of professional development after school hours in twilight sessions
- allocate student free days to other vacation periods, e.g. first or last day of winter vacation
- adopt a combination of the suggestions above.
Arrangements for the flexible student free days in 2019 must be finalised by the end of this year. Active consultation with staff is usually started and finalised during term three, in readiness for communication to regional offices in term four.
Dates and times should be defined and published for teachers, including those coming in on transfer, relocation or as temporary engagements. When deliberating on suitable models, consideration needs to be given to balancing work and family responsibilities. Further, the student free day program should allocate the time for the meal break and the paid rest pause.
Further information can be accessed from the QTU information brochure on student free days, which outlines attendance expectations and payment for permanent part-time and temporary teachers.