Know your working conditions 2017
The first step towards easing your workload is knowing what your rights and responsibilities are.
Click here to download the poster published in the February issue of the Queensland Teachers Journal. Keep as a handy reference or to pin-up on your notice board
While the new certified agreement contains a number of clauses that are similar to previous agreements, some new elements of the agreement are giving rise to discussions about implementation at the school level.
Check back as the agreement is unpacked, clause-by-clause.
Class sizes clause unpacked (Jan 2017)
- The class size clause in the Certified Agreement
- Key elements
- What is an exceptional circumstance?
- What does timely consultation look like?
- Why are the class size targets important?
- What things might the school consider to avoid exceeding class size targets?
(published Jan 2017)
Non-contact time clause unpacked (Feb 2017)
- What are the key principles of NCT (or preparation and correction (P&C) time?
- What is a planned school activity?
- If a teacher is required to attend a planned school activity, what actions need to be taken?
- What can be done to assist in replacing NCT lost due to planned school activities?
- What are some existing practices already employed by some schools?
- What happens if agreement cannot be reached with an individual teacher?
For the answers to these questions and more read Unpacking the NCT clause from the certified agreement (updated 16 Feb 2017)
Summary of key points
- The LCC is the key mechanism for managing workload.
- The LCC needs to be involved in consultation around flexible SFDs; staffing proposals; bus and playground rosters; meal break variations; extensions to school hours; areas in joint statements.
- The LCC should be involved in consultation about the purpose, frequency and duration of staff meetings.
- Staffing flexibility/workplace reforms need to be submitted to DET and the ECC.
- Funds allocated for staff must be used for the employment or PD of employees.
- New dispute resolution processes include a resolution committee at central office – this may consider the consultation processes within the school when trying to resolve disputes.
The key changes to the consultation and dispute resolution provisions of the agreement are the introduction of the need to consult on the purpose, frequency and duration of staff meetings, the inclusion of flexible student free days and the capacity for schools to use the October SFD hours flexibly, the reintroduction of registering workplace reforms with the ECC, and the introduction of the dispute resolution committee at central office.
Staff meeting clause unpacked (Jan 2017)
Suggested process for meeting the CA provisions (purpose, frequency and duration of meetings) & examples of staff meetings, requirements for part-time teachers
updated Jan 2017
Flexible student free days
Each year, a school will develop a program of meetings or “twilights” to enable teachers to access two weeks leave during the mid-semester break in semester 1.
Schools can explore a range of options, including coming back before the mandatory student free days in January, extending the mandatory student free day hours, a program of twilights conducted after school, recognition of mandatory training hours undertaken in a teacher’s own time in lieu of attendance at student free days etc.
These arrangements should be confirmed before the end of a school year and adequate notice given to all employees of expectations regarding attendance at events outside the regular school calendar or after school. These should be placed in the school calendar so that teachers who work part-time or have other arrangements can ensure attendance. A register of attendance may be kept to ensure that the necessary hours are completed.
Award and Certified Agreement for state school teachers
Salaries @ 1 July 2016
- 29 Nov : Class sizes in 2017 and the new certified agreement (Newsflash)
- 11 Nov: Schools' EB agreement certified (QTJ Nov 2016)
- 11 Nov: HAT and LT pilot (QTJ, Nov 2016)
- 11 Nov 2016 : Principal Update - Industrial issues
- 9 Nov: Classification restructuring for beginning teachers (Workload Wednesday)
- Oct 2016 : Unpacking the proposed EB agreement (QTJ, )