Deputy General Secretary Kate Ruttiman answered members' questions at Biennial Conference about the offer
The offer explained
The DET State School Teachers' Certified Agreement 2016 expired on 30 June 2019 .
Information for Union Reps (login required)
Schools EB9 employer ballot
23 Oct 2019: We have received advice from the commission that the agreement is to be certified at a hearing on 19 November 2019.
The offer explained
EB9 : State Government Offer
On 3 July 2019, QTU State Conference endorsed the state government offer, recommended its acceptance to members in a ballot to be conducted in Term 3 and deferred industrial action planned for July 18. (Newsflash No. 12-19)
QTU members were balloted on whether to accept the offer, and after the close of the ballot on Monday 5 August, 81 per cent of members had voted in favour of accepting the offer. (Newsflash No. 14-19)
The employer ballot on the proposed replacement Teachers' CA was conducted from 9 to 20 September. (Newsflash No. 16-19). The department have advised the QTU that the results of the employer ballot were for acceptance of the new teachers' certified agreement and we are awaiting dates for certification from the QIRC.
Resolutions from QTU Conference, 3 July 2019
That Conference endorse an in-principle agreement with the Department of Education on the basis of the Department’s offer of 28 June 2019.
- That Conference recommend acceptance of the in-principle agreement in a school-based ballot to be held over the first three weeks of Term 3.
- That the QTU defer protected industrial action scheduled for 18 July 2019 pending the result of the membership ballot.
- That Conference call on the government to fast-track the establishment of the Workload Advisory Council and its work to reduce workload to fulfil its 2017 pre-election commitment.
- That Conference recognises the courage of QTU members employed as Instrumental music teachers/instructors in the following nine parts of the QTU Work to Rule directive.
- That the QTU seeks guarantees from the department, whether inside or outside the EB9 Agreement, of measures to mitigate workload identified in the QTU Log of Claims, for example,
· increase in Non-Contact Time (NCT) for Instrumental Music (IM) staff
· class size targets for out of hours ensemble
· measures to address the additional hours of work that IM teachers/instructors are required to undertake but which they are not remunerated for.