New and beginning teachers
QTU 2015 New Educator Network (for information please contact Lynn Cowie-McAlister)
The QTU welcomes new and beginning teachers who are commencing their careers in the Department of Education and Training.
In this issue: Workload and Wellbeing Awareness (WWAM) | State election | 2017 Interview processes
New Educators: Welcome to teaching -things you should knowNew teachers have a number of hurdles to clear during their first year in the job. Here is a brief guide to some of them.
QTU guide for new educators - you will need to login to access this valuable resource - Updated Feb 2017This guide has been prepared for QTU members as a simple overview of the main issues that will affect you in your early years of teaching.
Electronic media: a quick guide to staying out of troubleAppropriate communication and professional must be kept when dealing with students. Here's some tips to keep you on track ...
The QTU has a range of useful resources:
- Flare - the e-newsletter for new and beginning teachers
- online brochures on many topics, with some specific to new and beginning teachers
- access to the QTU library - find out more here
- all QTU members should receive the Union's journal - The Queensland Teachers' Journal - eight times per year, with many useful articles for teachers and specific articles for new teachers.
- QTU new educators guide - for QTU members only, you will need your member number and password to access the guide.
- Internship agreements - between the QTU and Queensland universities which have Education courses
Beginning teachers: Welcome to teaching – what you must knowAs a new educator and an employee of DET, there are certain formal requirements that you must fulfil during your first year of teaching. - QTJ, Vol 121 No 2, 1 March 2016, p27
Beginning teacher mentoring clarifiedA number of questions have been raised by both mentors and new educators regarding the beginning teacher mentoring in schools program.- QTJ,Vol 120 No 8, 13 November 2015, p27
Beginning teachers: Challenge yourself - go remotei am very much an opportunist, so when Griffith University offered me a chance to undertake a rural practicum, I seized the opportunity with both hands - QTJ, vol. 120, no. 6, 21 August 2015, p. 21
QTU members have a range of options available when needing assistance:
QTU stands in solidarity
The Queensland Teachers’ Union wishes to express its shock at the killing of 17 people at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, and stands in solidarity with the many brave teachers who risked their own lives to protect the students in their care.
These horrific events reveal the deep commitment and bravery of members of our profession under the most extreme of circumstances, and we are proud to stand with them at this terrible time.QTU, 16 Feb 2018
Advice - QTAD
Training, seminars & PD
- salary info
- campaign information
- branch meetings and much more
One of the great benefits of QTU membership is access to the QTU library.
Find out more about the library's great collection and how to order and request books online here.
You can visit us at
21 Graham Street, Milton Q 4064
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm
Qld Retired Teachers' Assoc.
For the professional...
- Click here for resources to assist you and professional organisations to support you to meet the increasing demands of your role.
- Care about your profession and want to help shape its future?
Join the new Professional Issues Network Group (PING) now!
QTU On-line Shop
There are no vacancies at this time