QTU Special Education Committee
The QTU Special Education Committee is a Standing Committee of the QTU which:
- makes recommendations to QTU Conference or Council on appropriate policies for the QTU in the area of special education;
- makes recommendations and provides advice to Executive and/or Council on any matters related to special education;
- gives consideration to matters referred to it by Executive, Council, Conference, Branches and Area Councils;
- receives and considers reports from QTU Representatives on outside bodies which have to do with special education and provides appropriate advice on these reports to Executive or Council.
More information on the Committee can be found below.
QTU Special Education Committee consists of 10 members elected by QTU State Council plus a chair who is a member of QTU Executive.
Current members of the QTU Special Education Committee:
- Andrew Thompson (Chair)
- Perry Anderson
- Roselynne Anderson
- Jenny McLeod
- Sarah Lockwood
- Mary Heneghan
- Lauren Quinn
- Kellie Ryan
- Kerri Muller
- Fleur Watson
- Thomas McKenna
Terms of office are for three year periods (current term expires May 2020). Vacancies on the Committee are advertised in the Teachers’ Journal and on the QTU website and any financial member of the Union can nominate.
The Committee meets quarterly in Milton (some members participate via teleconference).
The Committee and the QTU take a broad view of what constitutes “special education” and the QTU defines students with special educational needs (the target population for the delivery of special education services) to include those students:
- with disabilities;
- with learning difficulties/disabilities
- who demonstrate significant behavioural and adjustment difficulties;
- who have significant medical conditions
The Committee also maintains a “Special Education Network” members of which will receive a summary of issues considered by the Committee through the Special Education Network newsletter.Special Education Network Newsletters
- Queensland Association of Special Education Leaders [QASEL]
- Australian Association of Special Education
- Queensland.Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services
- Disability Standards for Education
- Queensland. Department of Education and Training. Learning and Disability Support
- Mind Matters
- Queensland Guidance and Counselling Association
- Queensland Curriculum & Assessment Authority [QCAA] Equity in education
- Suicide Prevention (Everymind)
QTU stands in solidarity
The Queensland Teachers’ Union wishes to express its shock at the killing of 17 people at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, and stands in solidarity with the many brave teachers who risked their own lives to protect the students in their care.
These horrific events reveal the deep commitment and bravery of members of our profession under the most extreme of circumstances, and we are proud to stand with them at this terrible time.QTU, 16 Feb 2018
Advice - QTAD
Training, seminars & PD
- salary info
- campaign information
- branch meetings and much more
One of the great benefits of QTU membership is access to the QTU library.
Find out more about the library's great collection and how to order and request books online here.
You can visit us at
21 Graham Street, Milton Q 4064
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm
Qld Retired Teachers' Assoc.
For the professional...
- Click here for resources to assist you and professional organisations to support you to meet the increasing demands of your role.
- Care about your profession and want to help shape its future?
Join the new Professional Issues Network Group (PING) now!
QTU On-line Shop
There are no vacancies at this time