Vacancies at the QTU
Assistant Secretary, Research Officer
The QTU, the union which represents approximately 45,000 primary, secondary, special and TAFE teachers, is inviting applications for the position of Assistant Secretary, Research Officer to commence Monday 16 July 2018.
Duties and responsibilities
The duties of the internal officers are currently subject to reallocation. Below sets out the core responsibilities of the new officer position.
Shared responsibility with the Research Officer – Professional Issues:
- to proactively analyse developments in education policy, including teacher professionalism, curriculum and organisation of education at a state, federal and international level
- to formulate policy positions for consideration in response to emerging trends and issues in education policy
- organise or contribute to Union campaigns
- analysis of proposed changes to state and federal policy or legislation
- preparation or coordination of submissions in response to policy changes
- represent the Union in appearances before enquiries and in departmental and government committees.
Other duties in common with other officers:
- production of Journal articles
- delivery of advice to members through the Queensland Teachers’ Assist Desk.
Such other duties as may be required/approved by the General Secretary.
Selection criteria for appointment
- Demonstrated commitment to trade unionism and commitment to public education.
- Demonstrated capacity to analyse developments in education, the teaching profession, industrial relations and unions and to formulate options and recommendations in response.
- Demonstrated capacity to organise and structure successful campaigns involving members.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and to work as part of and contribute to a multi-disciplinary team.
- Tertiary qualifications appropriate to education and/or industrial relations.
- Potential for further development.
The suitability of an applicant will be assessed against the above criteria, having regard to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position.
Conditions for position
- Salary: $127,230 p/a.
- Generous leave provisions/superannuation.
Term of office for position
The initial term of office is up to four years. The Assistant Secretary, Research Officer shall be eligible to hold office for consecutive terms.
Six months prior to the conclusion of each term of office, the QTU Executive shall determine whether the office of the Assistant Secretary, Research Officer should be declared vacant. The incumbent has the right of appeal to Council against the decision of Executive. The decision of Council shall be final.
Application (closing noon Monday 23 April 2018)
Applications, including experience, qualifications and other information relevant to the selection criteria should be emailed to the General Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Monday 23 April.
Your application should include; two written references, the name and address of further referees, Arial 12 point font, no more than two pages per selection criteria and not in PDF format.
Short-listed applicants will be required for interview sometime prior to a final decision on the appointment being made at QTU State Council on Saturday 19 May 2018.
Advice - QTAD
Training, seminars & PD
- salary info
- campaign information
- branch meetings and much more
One of the great benefits of QTU membership is access to the QTU library.
Find out more about the library's great collection and how to order and request books online here.
You can visit us at
21 Graham Street, Milton Q 4064
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm
State School Representatives on the QCT Board
- Submit an Expression of Interest for QTU endorsement for this role by 23 April 2018
- Current nominees only eligible
Qld Retired Teachers' Assoc.
For the professional...
- Click here for resources to assist you and professional organisations to support you to meet the increasing demands of your role.
- Care about your profession and want to help shape its future?
Join the new Professional Issues Network Group (PING) now!
QTU On-line Shop