Membership growth "amazing"
Queensland Teachers' Journal, Vol 126 No 5, 30 July 2021, page no.6
What an amazing year for growth we have had so far in 2021! We are already above 1,800 new joins, which is an indicator of how important teachers in the state of Queensland see their Union as being. We are continuing to grow, ensuring our strength now and into the future.
One of the amazing privileges of our roles as Union officials is seeing the invaluable work of our Union Representatives. Strong Union membership density ensures that teachers have a say in where our profession moves – both at individual school sites and as an entire workforce.
Where our Union Reps tell their QTU truth, share their story of why, follow up with potential members and normalise the QTU as just “what we do”, we see genuine consultation and professional dialogue moving schools forward. Why wouldn’t you want to be part of that movement!
So here are some time saving, efficient ways to ensure the QTU is normalised in your workplace.
- Be part of the induction program – we have resources on the website which can assist.
- Be part of the new educator program – we have resources on the website which can assist.
- Speak at the pupil free days - introduce the Union Rep team.
- Speak at every staff meeting – not at the end of the meeting with members only, be part of the set agenda and ensure everyone knows the amazing work the QTU does every day.
- Make sure the QTU is visual everywhere at your school – a notice board (hard copy or electronic), QTU calendars, QTU pens, pencils, erasers, badges, shirts, hats … you name it we’ve got it!
Positively, before teachers even enter the classroom they are engaged with their Union. Below are some comments from some James Cook University final year education students.
“I had no idea how important the Union was. I will definitely be joining the Union. It’s nice to know we have so much support as teachers.”
“This was such valuable and informative information. Stronger together stood out to me. It is very comforting to know the teachers’ union is there and has the teachers’ best interests at heart. Thank you, team.”
“I had not even thought about a union, but now my eyes are open to how important this is. I will be joining up straight away. Thank you.”
Let’s celebrate our QTU success. Let’s continue to be QTU strong. Let’s tell our QTU truth. Let’s share our QTU why. Let’s continue to grow.
#QTU PROUD #QTU EVERYWHERE