New and beginning teachers in the QTU
The QTU welcomes new and beginning teachers who are commencing their careers in the Department of Education and Training.
The QTU has a range of useful resources:
- Beginning to teach - what you need to know (January 2022)
- New educator connect - the e-newsletter for new and beginning teachers
- online brochures on many topics, with some specific to new and beginning teachers
- access to the QTU library - find out more here
- all QTU members should receive the Union's journal - The Queensland Teachers' Journal - eight times per year, with many useful articles for teachers and specific articles for new teachers.
- QTU new educators guide - is currently being updated. If you need advice, the simplest way is to contact the Queensland Teachers Assist Desk (QTAD).
- Internship agreements - between the QTU and Queensland universities which have Education courses
QTU members have a range of options available when needing assistance:
- talk to your school's QTU Rep
- contact the Union's Queensland Teachers' Assist Desk (QTAD) for quick advice in relation to pay, leave and other working conditions by phone, email or online form
- contact your local QTU Organiser - there are eight QTU offices across the state.
Update your details
Remember to keep us up to date when you change your school, address, employment or other contact details and head to the members' portal "myQTU".
New educator connect is the QTU newsletter for teachers in their first five years of teaching and student teacher members.
New educator update provides information on topics of interest to new educators and students.