Local Consultative Committees (LCCs)
A local consultative committee (LCC) at your workplace is vital in managing change at a local level. The role of the LCC includes reviewing current practices as well as being the mechanism for consultation and change. An LCC is an essential tool in identifying, managing and reducing workload of our members (for schools that are too small to support an LLC, a clear process of consultation should be in place).
The LCC must comprise four management representatives (selected by the principal – including the principal) and four union Representatives – two QTU, one Together, one United Workers Union (determined by the unions) and meet at least once a term.
- The LCC should be involved in consultation about the purpose, frequency and duration of staff meetings.
- The LCC needs to be involved in consultation around flexible student free days; staffing proposals; bus and playground duty rosters; meal break variations; extensions to school hours; areas in joint statements (including collegial engagement and use of data).
- Staffing flexibility / workplace reforms need to be submitted to DoE and the Education Consultative Committee (ECC).
- Funds allocated for staff must be used for the employment or professional development of employees.
Consider the following questions to check the function of your LCC:
- Does your school have an LCC, or if a small school, a clear process for consultation?
- Are the matters listed on the upcoming meeting agenda published prior to the meeting to ensure all members can provide input and that consultation can occur?
- In a small school, is input sought on matters impacting on workload, working conditions or change?
- Does your school have a process to place issues on the agenda?
- Are minutes of the meetings/records of consultation processes kept?
- Are outcomes of the LCC meeting published?
The QTU Guide – Consultation for QTU Reps and School Leaders is available to assist members with matters relating the effective functioning of the LCC. You can find it here: https://www.qtu.asn.au/qtuguide-consultation
For advice or assistance with matters relating to the LCC at your workplace, please contact our Queensland Teachers’ Assist Desk 1300 11 7823 or email email@example.com.
Uploaded 6 October 2021